We offer two different options to consider before determining capacity.
SSD – highest reliability and longest expected lifespan due to larger storage drive (500GB). It is bigger, though, about the size of a business card and approx 1/2 inch thick (although in the Model 3 you wouldn’t see it since it’s in the center storage area).
MicroSD – small profile, high reliability. Smaller capacity storage (128/256 GB) gives you a lower price while still being designed for Dashcam systems.
There are two main things to consider when determining your capacity size:
- Archive: As you increase capacity you also increase the amount of footage that can be archived before being overwritten by the system.
- 128GB – ~2-3 weeks video archive
- 256GB – ~4-6 weeks video archive
- 500GB – ~2-3 months video archive
- Lifespan: Higher capacity drives last longer due to less frequent overwrites of the bits on the card (less wear and tear essentially).